Health insurance for a European citizen

Extract from Récit de Marcello • 35 years old • Man • Italian

Before I understood that I needed a French National Insurance number I lost a great deal of time trying to use my European Health Insurance Card (in Italy, the equivalent of the Carte Vitale was replaced by this document more than 10 years ago). Given its name I thought I had to use it to ensure health cover outside of Italy as well, but I eventually found out that it is only a replacement of older travel documents (E101, E111) that were issued before going abroad for short trips in Europe. In fact, if you settle in a member country you can’t continue to use it. It is only valid for tourist trips and occasional travel to other European countries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.